09 Dec Sweet Piquanté Pepper Churros
SWEET PIQUANTÉ PEPPER CHURROS
An easy homemade churros recipe. The PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers add an unexpected twist on this classic Spanish pastry dessert served with chocolate sauce.
- Make churros: In a large saucepan over medium heat, add water, butter, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then add vanilla. Turn off heat and add flour and salt.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until thickened, 30 seconds. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- To cooled mixture, using a hand mixer, beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in the dried Sweet Piquanté Peppers.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides and heat until a cube of bread browns when dropped in the oil.
- Holding the piping bag approx 5 – 10cm above the oil, carefully pipe churros into 10cm long ropes. Use kitchen scissors to cut off dough from piping bag.
- Fry until golden, 4 to 5 minutes, turning as necessary.
- Fry 3 to 4 churros at a time and let oil come back to temperature before each batch.
Serve with chocolate sauce and extra cinnamon sugar