10 Dec Mezze-Style Falafel
- 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 45 ml (2 Tbsp) fresh coriander, chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 60 ml cake flour
- Salt and pepper
- 8 – 10 PEPPADEW® Jalapeño Cones
- 150 g halloumi cheese, cut into thick batons
- Oil, for cooking
- Chunky tomato and onion salad
- Lemon wedges
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, cumin, coriander and olive oil into the bowl of a food processor. Blend briefly. Add the flour and season with salt and pepper. Blend again.
- Stuff each PEPPADEW® Jalapeño Cone with a baton of halloumi cheese. Cover the pop with a thin layer of the chickpea mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pot or deep fat fryer. Once the oil is hot, fry the pops, in batches, for 2-4 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Alternatively, place the pops onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the Mezze-style Falafel Poppers with a chunky tomato and onion salad, tzatziki and lemon wedges, if desired.
- These pops make a great addition to a mezze platter or as a filling to a pita bread shawarma.